Thumb Joint Replacement
Thumb Joint Replacement
A thumb joint prosthesis offers patients rapid healing and full mobility of the affected joint very quickly after surgery. Designed similarly to that of a hip joint replacement, the thumb prosthesis gives patients a pain-free and completely mobile future.
Excessive wear of the thumb joint can affect a patient’s quality of life and can be the cause of tremendous pain. Thumb joint pain can make it difficult to grab things and to hold them in one’s hand. Generally, patients can find relief through surgery. The use of an artificial joint when performing a thumb joint replacement promises full mobility coupled with a relatively short recovery time.
Your advantages at OrthoCenter Munich
- Orthopedic treatment focus on spinetherapy
- Wide range of conservative and operative procedures
- Gentle procedures in focus: Dr. Riedel specializes in gentle pain therapy. He was head physician in various pain clinics for over 20 years
- Joints and surgical expert: Prof. Dr. Lill specializes in the treatment of joints. He has years of experience in the field of minimally invasiveand arthroscopic ops.
- Cooperation with clinics and research institutes worldwide
- Renowned private practice: the OrthoCenter is internationally known and repeatedly welcomes patients from abroad who come to Munich for treatment
Advantages of replacement
Thumb operations are generally completed using techniques pioneered by Epping. The disadvantage of such a treatment is that the patient’s hand must be kept in a cast for four weeks, after which physiotherapy can take up to four months. Following a thumb joint replacement, the thumb can be fully used after approximately four weeks to complete normal tasks. In addition, the special design of the joint prosthesis offers better mobility than that which patients would experience following the Epping method.
How it works
Before inserting the thumb prosthesis, the entire arm needs to be numbed. In the gentlest way possible, the first part of the first metacarpal bone is removed, thus relieving pain. After this, the thumb joint is replaced. The design of this new joint is similar to that of an artificial hip joint: a ball joint allows for maximum mobility and enables the thumb to be fully utilised only four weeks after surgery.
Your specialist Prof. Dr. Lill
YOUR EXPERT FOR THUMB JOINT REPLACEMENT
Are you interested in a basal thumb joint replacement and prosthesis? Professor Lill, your orthopaedic joint specialist in Munich, will be glad to work with you. Schedule an appointment with him today!